Drying flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Poughkeepsie, Ne
Question by Bizz66
I have a lilac tree and love the aroma from it and would to learn how I can dry the flower to keep the beauty in my house year round. How can I accomplish this. Thank you.

0

You can either air dry them or preserve them with silica gel. Here's how:
Air Drying -

Select lilacs that have just reached their peak or are slightly immature. Don't attempt to dry a bunch of wilted flowers.

Cut a bunch of lilacs from the bush and secure the bottom of the bunch with a rubber band or piece of twine.

Clip the bunch (upside down) to the bottom of a clothes hanger, using a clothespin.

Hang the clothes hanger in a warm, dry, well-ventilated area out of the direct sun. The bunch of flowers should be hanging upside down. It will take one to three weeks for the flowers to dry.

Silica Gel -

Select lilacs that have just reached their peak or are slightly immature and cut from the bush.

Pour a layer of silica gel into an airtight box, about an inch deep.

Snip the small individual lilac blossoms from the bunch, leaving about an inch of stem attached.

Set each blossom in the silica gel, stem first. Do not allow the flowers to touch each other.

Cover the blossoms with a layer of silica gel. Place the lid on the box and store in a cool, dark, dry location. It will take about two days for the lilacs to dry.

Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"