Plants seemed to have burned - Knowledgebase Question

Los Angeles, Ca
Question by albertosalin
I planted a tomato, cantaloupe, and watermelon plant 4 days ago and noticed that the leaves have somewhat dried, as if they got burned by the fertilizer (I used Vigoro slow release tomato and vegetable fertilizer at the strength recommended for new tomato plants). Will they survive? And what should I do to avoid this? Perhaps I should have tested the soil first and avoided the fertilizer?

I think what you are seeing is a little sun scald on the leaves. Transplants can take a few weeks to adjust to their new growing environments and wilting, even drying of the leaves is an effect of this transplant stress. I think your plants will recover once they've established in the garden. A slow release fertilizer will dissolve over several weeks time so I don't think the fertilizer application has caused problems. Hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"