What is best to plant? - Knowledgebase Question

Mettawa, Il
Question by lliphardt
We have a heavily shaded area in our front yard that is extremely moist sometimes flooded. It is difficult to grow anything. The soils is very hard almost clay like, any suggestions. It is an ugly area, should I just mulch and use pots? I would prefer perennials!

Is there a way to build a raised bed or mound the soil up so the plant roots are not sitting in water? If you can create an island of topsoil over the area, you can plant any shade loving plant. If you cannot change the soggy soil, planting in containers is your best bet. You can probably get a groundcover such as Dead Nettle or Houttuynia cordata to grow in the spot to disguise the soil and then set your colorful containers on top. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"