Why is my lilac not blooming? - Knowledgebase Question

Forreston, Il
Question by bkdaws98
I received a beautiful lilac bush several years ago. It's growing huge, but has never had any blooms. It is on the south side of my home in our landscaping. Thankyou!

0

Sometimes lilacs can take years to become established enough and mature enough to flower. Lilacs produce flower buds during the summer months for the following spring's display. You can check the tips of the branches for flower buds later this summer. With any luck, you'll detect some. Sometimes a late spring frost will kill off flower buds so let's hope your shrub doesn't experience that next year. Full sunshine is best for lilacs. A final thought - too much nitrogen fertilizer can result in lots of green growth, at the expense of flowering so don't feed your lilac. Be especially careful with fertilizer if your lilac is near a lawn area that you regularly fertilize. Hope your lilac blooms for you next spring!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"