Onions - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by georgeareid
I have some onions that were planted last yr and I honestly forgot about them. They showed up all of a sudden about two months ago and now one of them looks pretty big at the base but no onion sticking up out of the ground. It also has what I think it is a seed pod(looks like a cream colored elves hat). How do I know when they are ready to be dug up and what do I do with them after that?

0

Uh oh! It sounds like your onions are bolting. When they produce a flower stalk they use up all the stored energy in the bulb and the bulb will dissolve into the soil. You can dig the onion now to try to save it. If you see flower stalks developing, cut them off before they grow too large. I think it's worth investigating by digging one or two of the onions out of the ground now. They are generally ready to harvest when the tops turn yellow and die down so keep an eye out for that and be sure to cut off any flowering stems that appear. Good luck with your onions!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"