Artichokes - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by georgeareid
Two questions on artichokes. First both of my plants have produced a few artichokes but they are very small compared with what you find in the store and they are very tough even when steamed for a long time. Second there are flies all over both plant, what can I do I have put out a fly trap but there a are still a bunch of flies on the artichoke plants...help

0

The older and larger your plant is, the larger artichokes it will produce. So if your plant is new - only a year old - the chokes will be small. If your plant is two or more years old and the chokes are small and tough, your plant needs more water as the flower beds are developing and you need to harvest them a little earlier, before they turn tough. The flies are attracted because your plants probably have aphids (very common on artichoke plants). The aphids exude a sticky substance called honeydew which is high enough in sugar content to attract flies and bees. Hose your plants off every few days when you find aphids. The water will discourage the aphids and will rinse off the honeydew. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "