Dwarf Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Hanover, Pe
Question by barsmith1
I have a small area that I want to plant some type of dwarf tree. It is in full sun. I live in zone 5-7. Can you recommend something?

For a small, attractive try, consider Weeping katsura (Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendulum'). It is a fast-growing tree that grows 15- to 25-feet tall.

Or, a weeping Higan cherry (Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula') produces pink to white flowers in profusion, if grown in full sun and well-drained soil. This weeping cherry tree attains a height of 20'-30' and a spread 15'-25'.

"Snow Fountains" weeping cherry (Prunus 'Snow Fountains' or 'Snofozam') grows 8'-15' tall with a spread of 6'-8'. Snow Fountains blooms best in full sun and well-drained soil. A slow-growing ornamental, the branches of this weeping cherry cascade right down to the ground.

The "Red Jade" weeping crabapple (Malus 'Red Jade') bears a white flower that becomes an ornamental red fruit. This fruit persists throughout the winter, attracting wild birds that eat them in February and March as emergency food. Not only does it sport a weeping habit, but its contorted trunk lends additional interest to your landscaping, even in winter when the tree is bare.

Young's weeping birch (Betula pendula 'Youngii') is a 6'-12' dwarf variety. This birch tree makes for an attractive landscaping specimen, not only because of its weeping habit, but also because of its bark. For Young's weeping birch has the classic white bark that peels, providing a unique texture.

Weeping blue Alaskan cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Glauca Pendula') is a small tree (10') that can be grown in zones 4-7. Weeping blue Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica ?Glauca Pendula?) is another weeping evergreen. This superb ornamental tree can be grown in zones 6?9. Pendant limbs drip with icy-blue needles. This slow grower prefers full sun and is drought-tolerant.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"