When to plant - Knowledgebase Question

Kansas City, Mi
Question by krisrezac2
When do I plant tomatoes? (I've started from seed & they're about 2 inches tall) when do I plant acorn squash? How do I plant potatoes? what kind of sun do I need for the squash & potaotes? What do I need to mix in with the soil?

0

Your average last frost date is the first of May so you can plant your warm season veggies (tomatoes, squash and potatoes) outdoors in about a week. By then the soil will be warm and they'll grow well for you. All vegetables need at least 8 hours of direct sunshine so plant yours in the sunniest spot you can find in your garden. Before planting work some organic matter into the soil. You can use compost, aged manure, etc. to help loosen the soil and provide nutrients to the roots of your plants. Potatoes are planted from certified seed potatoes. You can cut the seed potatoes into smaller pieces, as long as each piece has 2-3 eyes. Bury the seed potatoes in the soil and as the stems grow keep adding soil around the plant. Potatoes will grow off the roots that your plants develop. When the tops die down at the end of the summer you can harvest your spuds. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"