Cutting lilacs to bring indoors - Knowledgebase Question

Randolph, Ne
Question by joedonnamill
When I cut my lilacs to put them in a vase, the flowers shivel up within a day. What should I do to keep them fresh and in bloom?

Lilacs are notorious for wilting when cut for arrangements. Here are some tips on extending the vase life of these beautiful blooms:

1. Cut when the flowers on a lilac panicle (the entire cluster of flowers) are one-quarter to one-half open.

2. Use your pruners to split the stem a couple of inches up the center.

3. Don't put the flowers in a vase immediately. Instead, remove all the foliage and put them in cool water right up to the neck of the flower. Let them rest and begin taking up water for a few hours or overnight before using in arrangements.

4. When arranging, use a fairly deep vase or container filled with cool water. Keep the flowers out of direct sunlight. Even with care, lilacs are a short-lived cut flower ? five days at most, so enjoy all that beauty while you can!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"