Winterizing Snapdragons and Hummingbird Mix - Knowledgebase Question

Shepherdsville, KY
Question by justice23kw
November 3, 1998
Is there anything special that I need to do to winterize Snapdragons and Hummingbird Mix flowers? This is the first year that I have had either one and I have heard several different things that I should do.

November 3, 1998

0

Snapdragons are tender plants, usually treated as annuals. They have a tendency to develop rust their second year of growth. You can help avoid this by cutting the tops down after frost and removing the stems and foliage from the garden area. Then mulch the root area with a few inches of aged compost. If the roots survive the winter, they will send out new shoots in the spring. I would treat the hummingbird flower bed in the same way. Most of the plants are annuals, some will self-sow, others will have to be replanted in the spring. Good luck with your garden!