INSECTS - Knowledgebase Question

zachary, Lo
Question by malissacole
I have insects eating my pepper plants, cucumbers, and tomato plants. Also, the leaves are turning brown on the edges of my tomato plants that have fruit on them. HELP!!
What can I use to get rid of the pest and help the brown leaves on the tomatoes.

It sounds like a wilt disease. Wilt diseases are caused primarily by the soil-borne fungi, Fusarium and Verticillium, which invade the plant through the root system.

First symptoms appear on leaves at the bottom of the plant. These leaves turn yellow or brown and then die. Leaves higher on the stem become dull in color and may appear droopy or wilted. With Fusarium, this is most likely to appear during hot weather, usually shortly before the first fruits ripen. The entire plant gradually turns yellow or brown, wilts and dies. It will have a complete collapsed appearance. When the stem is cut open, dark brownish streaks can be seen inside in the woody tissue under the green stem.

The only real control of this disease is to plant adapted, resistant (VFN hybrid) tomato varieties. It is also wise to rotate tomatoes to different areas of the garden and plant only in well-drained soil to prevent build-up of the wilt fungi.

Bonide?s Total Pest Control product provides excellent, long-lasting control of problem insects around buildings, in turf, on ornamentals, on vegetables, fruit, shrubs, and trees.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"