Contaner garden - Knowledgebase Question

Irving, Te
Question by jkptravels
I would like to know the best plants for a container garden. Containers will be on a balcony that receives morning sun, however has a huge tree shading. I live in North Texas. please advise - thank you in advance!

Jacqueline Palmer

0

Some of the best shade tolerant plants for your region include:
Impatiens: Impatiens is one of the favorite shade annuals for its ease of care. Survival rate of transplants in the summer correlates with denseness of shade in which they exist. Impatiens have the characteristics of tolerating some sun (morning sun), preferring a moist but not wet soil.

Coleus: For something different in the darker shaded areas, try the bright foliage markings and variegations of coleus. Pinch off flower spikes in late summer to insure continuous plant bloom.

Begonia: The begonia is the most adapted and spectacular blooming plant that can tolerate full sun but does best with morning sun?afternoon shade. Many times plants over-winter and provide a second year of bloom. Seed begonias are available in many colors with even different colored foliage (red and green). The Vodka begonia has been the standard of the red-leaved, red-flowered varieties.

Others you might try include nasturtium (Tropaeolum), flowering tobacco(Nicotiana), pansy (Viola), lobelia (Lobelia), bachelor button (Centaurea), Pinks (Dianthus), bells of Ireland (Moluccella), forget-me-not (Myosotis), baby blue eyes (Nemophila), perilla (Perilla), fuchsia (Fucshia), and elephant ear (Colocasia).

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "