Bottle Brush bush/tree - Knowledgebase Question

gilbert, Ar
Question by wesleyturner
What is needed to keep them blooming. After being in the ground for a few years the blooms almost stop. Also very little new growth. What fertilizer, how much, and when? Any other soil supplement? I live in Gilbert AZ.

0

Bottlebrush will bloom two or three times a year without any encouragement at all if they are planted in full sunshine. I prune mine back after the first flush of flowers (mine is in bloom right now). It will flower again in July and again in September. If yours is not blooming, it may need more sunshine, or less water and less fertilizer (which promotes leaf and stem growth at the expense of flowers). I'd prune the shrubs back now. This will promote new growth and with any luck, flowers this summer.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"