White Pine is dying / dead? - Knowledgebase Question

O\'Fallon, Mi
Question by drumhead10
Got 4 white pines 2.5 yrs old, about 9 feet. One is brown all over(not normal yellowing/shedding).Other 3 are green/healthy. How to tell if tree is dead vs.dying? I broke off twig and it was brittle/didn't have moisture so think it's dead. Other suggest wait thru summer and see. If dead,tips on replacement? Do sooner or later? Any product that may help tree? I gave it fertilizer spikes 2 wks ago.

0

If you broke off a branch and it is brittle, that branch is dead. You might try snapping the tips off of other branches, as well. If there's no life in any of the branches, your tree is a candidate for replacement. Insects and diseases can cause problems but usually a water stress is what causes all over browning. It could be that the tree is planted in an area that doesn't drain well which caused root rot, or drains too quickly and the roots are not getting enough water. I don't think there's much you can do to save the tree if all the branches are brown. If you decide to replant a pine in its place, make sure the soil drains quickly so root rot doesn't become a chronic problem. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"