The best way to cut lilacs - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Valley, Ne
Question by mosesmessing
What is the best way to cut lilacs.Last year my tree was packed with flowers and this year only 1/3rd of the tree bloomed I would like to finish cutting off everything now as it bloomed about 3 weeks ago, I cut off many flowers already for the vase but am afraid that maybe next year I will have even less if I do it incorrectly.
Thank you
Rachel

0

Weather has a lot to do with flowering in lilacs so you may not have done anything wrong last year. Lilacs should be pruned immediately after they have finished blooming. The new growth they develop during the summer months will include flower buds. These flower buds will open the following spring. So prune now and your lilacs will have all summer to develop those flower buds. Hope yours blooms its head off next spring. Best wishes with your lilac!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"