Types of flowwering plants - Knowledgebase Question

Princeton, Ne
Question by bboardman831
I would like to plant plants that flowere annually and stagger from spring to summer in my yard. Can you recommend some flowers? My house gets direct sun light the better part of the day and shades in the back in the late afternoon. I would like to plant thses floweres in the front of my house. Please advise.

0

The best way to get a sequence of bloom in your garden is to plant perennials with different bloom times. This way you'll always have something in bloom. Here are some to include in your garden: Perennials for spring bloom include Pasque flower (Anemone pulsatilla), Creeping phlox (Phlox subulata), Virginia bluebells (Mertensia virginica), Lungwort (Pulmonaria) and the many minor bulbs such as Iris reticulata, Chionodoxa, crocus and of course daffodils (Narcissus).

Late spring to early summer bloomers include: Peonies, Bleeding heart (Dicentra), Columbine (Aquilegia), Siberian iris (Iris sibirica), tall bearded or German iris (Iris germanica), cranesbill (Geranium), Dianthus, Lamium, Baptisia, Coreopsis, Coral Bells (Heuchera), Salvia and Candytuft (Iberis).

Summer bloomers include Yarrow (Achillea), purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), black eyed Susan (Rudbeckia), daylilies (Hemerocallis), bulb lilies (Lilium), Indian blanket flower (Gaillardia), tall border phlox (Phlox paniculata), Penstemon, bee balm (Monarda didyma), Boltonia, and Hosta.

For late summer, early fall color include Toadlily (Tricyrtis), Windflower or Japanese Anemone, assorted Sedums and assorted asters.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"