Petunia flower/Thanks. - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by bonitb2
I deadhead my unsightly petunia, will a new one grow from where i pinch the dead one from. How long does it normally takes for new blooms. Also, what is the correct way to deadhead petunia, I've heard there are two different ways to do it. Are they consider hardy for Hous. Tx heat 90. How often should i water them.

0

Pinching off the spent flowers - every day if necessary - will keep your petunias flowering all summer long. The best approach is to remove the spent flower along with a little bit of the stem. New stems will develop from the leaf scars on the stem below where the flowering stem was attached. Each of these new stems will develop flowers. Pinch them back after the flowers are spent and new flowering stems will appear. Petunias are considered summer hardy in Houston, as long as they don't get too wet during the hot summer days. Hope this answers your questions.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"