Making a flower bed - Knowledgebase Question

syracuse, Ne
Question by alwaysme49
I want to replace 4x8 section of my lawn with a flower garden.Do I have to take out the grass and replace it with new top soil.How far down would I have to dig?I want to put in roses and other perenials.Thank you

0

I'd use a vegetation killer in the area and then dig and remove the grass, roots and all. This will ensure your new flower bed won't become a headache with unwanted grass. After the grass is dead, dig or rototill the garden bed, then rake all the debris out. Spread 4-5 inches of organic matter over the bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your flowers and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"