Ground cover - Knowledgebase Question

New Braunfels, Te
Question by pdavis18
I am looking for a ground cover to use in an area under several oak trees. The soil is very rocky (Texas hill country limestone)and the area i mostly shady. To add to the fun, any plants need to be deer resistant. I will appreciate any advice.

0

Texas frog-fruit is a small prostrate spreading perennial forb that may be used as an excellent ground cover for hot, dry areas of soil. It spreads vigorously but is not invasive. When it is in extremely dry places, it tends to hug the ground reaching a height of 3-6 inches. When given extra water or growing in more shady conditions it grows a bit more upright, up to about 8 inches. The flower heads are usually about ? inch long and the blossoms themselves are tiny and white, opening in a ring. The leaves are rather long and stiff, with pronounced serrations on the edges. The plant roots wherever the stems touch the ground. Texas frog-fruit generally is a good nectar plant for butterflies and is the larval food plant for the Phaon Crescent Spot, Buckeye, and White Peacock butterflies. Trailing rosemary, thyme, and Greek oregano are also adaptable to hot, dry locations. Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your garden.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"