Rhododendron Should I trim it? - Knowledgebase Question

Columbus, Oh
Question by EDunn059
I put the three rhododendron (hardijzer's beauty) shrubs in the garden where I thought I didn't get so much light but turns out I have more light all day. Is that killing the shrubs or am I supposed to trim the flowers that don't look so great just like I do for the rose bush?

Rhododendron 'Hardijzer's Beauty' is one of the more sun tolerant rhododendrons so it might be that yours is planted in too shady a spot. I'd wait until this fall to move it. When the flowers are spent you can snap them off the plant being careful not to damage the small flower and leaf buds on the branch just below the flower truss. The best way to deadhead a rhododendron is to put your hand over the bloom grab it and quickly pull it toward your body. The entire tress will snap right off without damaging the stem or the leaf and flower buds directly beneath them. Enjoy your new rhodie!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"