Japanese maple - Knowledgebase Question

ashford, Co
Question by amacmanes
We bought a Japanese maple tress 3 years ago. For the last 2 1/2 years it grew fine, it doubled in size. This spring it never put out any buds. The bark around the bottomm was pulling away and the truck looked like a dead piece of wood (which it was), Nothing changed/ When I dug it up it was dead down to the roots, scraping back some of the covering showed no life. We used Bear products on it.

0

Without being able to see the tree I can only offer an educated guess. It sounds like butt rot which can happen when a tree is planted too deeply and the trunk that was previously growing above the soil level is placed below soil level - or if mulch is placed too closely to the bark. Excess moisture will cause rot and the symptoms you describe sounds as though it did rot and the rot traveled down the trunk and into the root system. Wish I had better news for you.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"