Transplanting - Knowledgebase Question

Seattle, Wa
Question by suejoewest
How do I transplant a Japanese Maple which is about 2 ft tall and 5 feet in diameter?

0

Expect the majority of roots to be in the top 12-18" of soil, venturing out about one and one-half times the diameter of the canopy. The key is to damage as few roots as possible when digging and moving. I'd recommend moving it in the winter when it is dormant. Water deeply the day before digging (moist soil is easier to dig), then replant at the same soil depth as it was growing before. You can move anytime between December and March, while the tree is dormant, and it will suffer less transplant shock. You can move it now if you're careful about watering, making sure to water deeply once or twice a week to help the roots re-establish. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"