New raised gardens - Knowledgebase Question

Scottsdale, Ar
Question by tuepl42461
We put in four raised gardens. We have planted several vegetables. We started some by seed and some we purchased. The ones from seed started out great they sprouted quickly and have grown to a 4 or 5 inches tall. However it seems to me that all the plants have stopped getting taller and are just stuck. My green beans have been the same height for weeks now and look a little yellow. Any ideas?

0

You didn't say whether or not you amended the soil with organic matter prior to planting your veggies. If you used native soil, which is mostly clay, it may be holding too much water to suit the roots of your plants. It is also difficult for the roots of small plants to penetrate the soil and grow deep. Organic matter not only loosens the soil and helps it drain quickly but it also releases nutrients to the plant roots. If you did not incorporate organic matter prior to planting make a note on your calendar to do so at the end of the growing season so your next crop can benefit. Green beans are cool season plants and the temperatures are climbing so they may be giving up on growing. I suspect they will die off within the next 2-3 weeks. For a really great crop of beans, plant your seeds in late September and you'll be able to harvest them all before the New Year. You can plant again in February and harvest before the end of April. As for the rest of your veggies, try feeding with a liquid or foliar fertilizer (such as Miracle Gro) to give them a boost. You might also spread a 2-3 inch layer of compost over the soil between the plants to help moderate soil temperatures and slow water evaporation. I hope your plants recover and begin to grow soon!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"