St. Aug. Floritam plugs - Knowledgebase Question

Clermont, Fl
Question by mkmalys
What's the proper way to install St. Aug. plugs? My idea is to rake up all dead grass ( the weeds have already been Round-ed up) Spread Milorganite or ? on soil and place plugs. If I am missing something, please let me know. Should soil be watered before plugs are placed and garden or top soil be added if area seems low? Also, we couldn't find Floritam at Home Depot - what other cultivar is ther

You're on the right track. Rack up the dead grass and when doing so, try to rake into the surface of the soil to break it up a bit. Level any low spots with topsoil then spread milorganite or compost over the top of the lawn area. You won't need to water the area until after you've installed the plugs. Once they are all in place, water completely to help settle them into the soil and to moisten the roots. Be sure to water thoroughly and to water every 2-3 days for the first two weeks. This will help the roots establish themselves quickly.

Some cultivars of St. Augustine to consider include 'Amerishade', which is a true dwarf cultivar of St. Augustinegrass, with a very slow and prostrate growth habit and a lower mowing height (1.5 to 2 inches) than standard cultivars. Its mowing frequency is less than those of most other St. Augustinegrass cultivars, with research showing that it can go for just over two weeks even in the summer months before needing mowing.

'Floratine', which is similar to 'Floratam'. This is an improved selection that was released in 1962 by the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station. It has a finer leaf texture and a denser and shorter growth habit that allows closer mowing than other standard St. Augustinegrass cultivars.

Or, 'Palmetto', a selection with an intermediate growth habit, with shorter leaf blades and internodes than many other cultivars, but is slightly larger than the dwarf St. Augustinegrass cultivars such as 'Seville' and 'Delmar'. It does well in full sun or partial shade, but not in dense shade.

Best wishes with your new lawn.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"