Stubborn Weeds - Knowledgebase Question

westampton, Ne
Question by ekglover
I am having problems with maintaining a weed free yard in my mother's yard. I've tried all of the following to try to prevent the reoccurrance: Roundup, weed guard tarp/blanket, and river rock. It was okay for a week but the weeds came back. They appear to have onion-like roots and grow through everything in massive number. I have never experienced this stubborn weed before. What should I do?

0

Sounds like wild onion or wild garlic (or a close relative). Wild onion (Allium amplectens) is difficult to eradicate because even if the tops are killed back, stored energy from the bulb allows new foliage to emerge. Herbicides available are not very effective against wild onion and repeat applications must be made. If you want to try, cut the foliage from the plant and immediately paint the stubs with glyphosate (Round Up). This is a vegetation killer and will kill lawns and nearby plants if they are touched with the chemical so apply carefully. The only other sure way of getting rid of the weedy plant is to dig it up, bulb and all. Wish I had better news for you!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"