Rododendron - Knowledgebase Question

voorhees, Ne
Question by shusted
I have a large rhododendron which needs to be moved to another location. When will be a good time to do the transplant? What should I be careful about?

0

Wait until after it has finished flowering and then dig and move your rhododendron. I find it easier to dig in damp rather than dry soil so water it well the day before the move. Expect the roots to be in the top 12-18" of soil but extending out at least as far and the longest branches. Start your digging there and dig down and toward the center of the plant. Try not to sever the main roots (it's okay to cut through some of the smaller roots). Once you have the plant out of the ground, replant it as soon as possible taking care that it will be growing at the same soil level as it was growing before. Water it well after transplanting. Expect to see some drooping leaves and stems as it re-establishes its root system. It will perk up again in a few weeks. At that time you can prune away and shriveled stem tips and leaves. Best wishes with the move.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"