Leaf Spot - Knowledgebase Question

Giddings, Te
Question by evajokiesch
My rose bushes are getting yellow leaves with black spots on them...is this a disease or insects and what should I do?

Black spot is one of the most common diseases of roses. Fungicides will help control it, but you'll need to practice good garden sanitation (prune and remove the most obviously infected canes), and try to keep water off the leaves (hard to do in the Louisiana!). Fungicides need to be applied every 7-14 days during the growing season. Some choices include Rose Defense, Funginex, Daconil, Captan, Bravo. You'll find others in the garden section of your local Home Depot. I'm afraid black spot is just one of the challenges you'll face when growing roses, but the reward is worth the effort. I don't think there's anything quite as lovely as a garden filled with roses! Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"