How to root loquat seed to plant in ground - Knowledgebase Question

Temple City, Ca
Question by lilylee98732
I love loquats. A couple of weeks ago, a loquat rolled to my front sidewalk. I peeled the skin and the flesh off and placed in a clear plastic cup with enough water to cover the seeds so that one or all would grow roots. The cup and its content is placed outside in the sun. Two weeks later, nothing has occurred.
Q: How do you make loquat seeds grow roots so that I can plant a tree?

My research indicates Loquats grow easily from seed but seedlings have a very low probability of producing good tasting fruit - and might not even fruit at all. Therefore, I'd recommended that only a grafted tree be purchased. Grafts are sold as named varieties and the graft point should be clearly evident near the base of the tree.

I don't think your seeds will sprout if you've removed the brown skin from the seeds and if you have kept them submerged in water for two weeks. They will have drowned by now! Loquat seeds will sprout if you leave the seed skin on and plant the seeds just barely beneath the surface of moistened potting soil. They need a little moisture but they also need some oxygen. Keep the potting soil damp but not soggy wet and the seeds will germinate in about 2 months.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"