Garden depth - Knowledgebase Question

McKinney, Te
Question by shelly_wasko
Hello. I built a raised garden for the first time this year. I used a garden tarp underneath, but my soil depth is only about 8 inches. I planted onions, cucumbers, tomato plants, squash and green beans. The growth seems to be stunted. Is it due to cramping the roots? Will the plants grow anymore at all, or is it too early to tell? No blooms what-so-ever. HELP! Thanks ;0)

0

Your garden bed is a little too shallow for the plants you mention. You'll need 12-18 inches of soil depth so maybe you'll be able to raise your raised bed a little more this fall so next year's garden can be more productive. With only 8 inches of soil depth your plants will be stressed - they like to grow deep, deep roots - but they may adjust so I'd leave them where they are and encourage them with deep watering on a regular basis. The soil will heat up quickly because it's so shallow so try topping the bed with 2-3 inches of compost or other organic matter. Just spread it around the plants but don't push it against the stems. It could hold too much water and cause them to rot. The compost will help moderate soil temperatures and also slow water evaporation. At the end of the season you can dig it into the soil to help enrich the soil. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"