Black grasshoppers - Knowledgebase Question

Homestead, Fl
Question by zennyg
My back yard is infested with black grasshoppers with a yellow stripe down the back how can I get rid of them they are eating my plants. I live in Miami Florida 33187

Grasshoppers are difficult to deter because they come in from neighboring fields and yards. A biological control disease organism, the protozoan Nosema locustae might work. Nosema locustae is most effective on young grasshoppers. This biological control will reduce grasshopper numbers over a few days or weeks, but, generally, it is a slow-acting disease that takes at least a year to affect grasshopper populations. N. locustae is available at many garden shops and nurseries and is sold under various trade names. Use this product strictly according to label instructions. Because adult grasshoppers are older and tougher than the nymphs, they are more difficult to control. Deter them from your garden by keeping other areas of your property well-watered to provide a lush alternative to your garden.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"