leaf miners on pea plants and yellowing beans - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by marigoldwhit
Hi! I have leaf miners on my pea plant. Is there an organic treatment for these. if not, how can I best get rid of them? Do they harm the peas?

Also, my bean plants are yellowing. maybe I am over watering them?

My potatoesand tomatoes are doing great though!! Thanks, Marigold

Leafminers are the larvae of a flying insect. The adult lays an egg by making a tiny hole in the surface of the leaf. When the egg hatches into a larvae it spends a few weeks feeding on the tissue between the upper and lower surfaces of the leaves. They are protected from predators and pesticides because they are enclosed within the leaf. When they have eaten their fill they chew an exit hole in the leaf and spin a web which transports them down to the soil surface. There they pupate and emerge as adults to repeat the process. You can't control the larvae other than to squish them while they are still within the leaf or by frequently cultivating the soil beneath your plants. You can't really control the adults. So, the best approach is to do nothing at all. They won't do too much damage to your plants. They feed exclusively within the leaves and most plants don't mind sharing. Glad the rest of your garden is thriving!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"