Weigela Bush - Knowledgebase Question

New Lenox, Il
Question by ddryan8
I have 5 weigela wine and rose bushes in the front of my home. One of them is all bare in the back and the leaves are a yellow on only two braches. Is it disease and what do I use to get rid of it? Also, do I cut all the bare branches off? They will be 4 years old in August. So they are established.

Weigela is relatively disease resistant so I think it's showing some stress from winter weather or perhaps a soil drainage problem. Too much water or soils that don't drain well can cause the symptoms you describe. Even though you have several planted in the same garden area, it could be that this one is sitting in a pocket of poorly draining soil. I'd prune it back to encourage new growth and to remove the bare and probably dead stems and branches. Healthy new growth should follow. Hope it recovers soon!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"