Making Seedlings - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mjcristi51
Hi,
I have a fig tree that I would like to take a cutting from and plant. Can you tell me the best way to do this. Some say that you have to root in a some sort of solution. What part of the tree do I cut. Thank you for you help

0

You can propagate a fig tree by digging up the suckers that develop at the base of the tree, or by taking cuttings. Cuttings should be from the current year's growth and should be taken in the fall or early winter after the tree has become dormant. The cuttings should be approximately 10 inches long. Before taking cuttings, you should prepare the soil where they will be placed. A well-drained area should be chosen and the soil should be loosened to a depth of at least 8 inches. The cuttings should be placed in the soil approximately one foot apart with one or two buds above the soil. You don't need to use rooting hormone. After the cuttings have been placed in the soil, mulch or leaves should be placed over them to a depth of 4 to 6 inches, especially if you live in an area where winter temperatures are likely to fall below the twenties. The mulch should be removed in the following spring after the danger of freezing has passed.

In the following Spring the cuttings should show signs of new leaves. Success rates of 50% or more are not uncommon so don't be disappointed if only a few of your cuttings root. The cuttings should be allowed to grow until the fall of the following year before being transplanted or placed in containers.

Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"