Japanese Maple - Knowledgebase Question

Fulton, Mi
Question by handmhenry
Our J. Maple came out in full force this sping,and after alot of rain the leaves are shriveling up and seem to be dying, the limbs are still green, what should/can I do to keep the tree alive, the tree is on its 3rd. summer.

New maple leaves are tender when they first emerge but they toughen up in a few weeks. If there was wind associated with the rainstorm they may have been damaged. Waterlogged soils can cause stress, as well. I suspect your tree will recover in time. The damaged leaves will drop and since it's still early in the spring the tree may have enough reserve energy to replace the lost leaves. There's not much you can do to help it recover. Don't water until the soil drains and dries out a bit. Roots need oxygen as well as moisture. Just be patient with your tree. I think it will develop new leaves in a few weeks. Best wishes with your maple.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"