herbicides - Knowledgebase Question

Ithaca, Ne
Question by djkhighfalls
hi, i was wondering what farmers use to spray their corn fields that kills just about all weeds and does not hurt the corn plant. Of course what other garden vegetables could it be used on and does HD sell the same or similar. thank you. Dan

I don't know what your local farmers use to keep weeds out of the corn patch but I suspect they plant Round-Up Ready Corn which has been genetically altered to be immune to the chemical glyphosate. There's nothing available to home gardners that will be as efficient - Round Up is a vegetation killer and will kill all your veggies if you spray it on them. Round Up Ready Corn is not available to home gardeners.

To keep weeds at a minimum in your veggie garden you can cover over the bare soil between the plants with several thicknesses of newspaper to keep weed seeds from germinating. Or, use cardboard or a 2-3 inch layer of organic mulch. All will block sunlight from reaching the soil surface and will keep weeds from sprouting.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"