Climbing weeds - Knowledgebase Question

franklin, Ma
Question by dialex
In one small flower garden only, I have had these climbing weeds that mimic morning glories with white flowers that wind around everything. I've tried pulling them out, spraying the leaves, stripping out the soil, ect.What are they called, and what can I do?

Sounds suspiciously like field bindweed. If so, it can be difficult to control because it spreads by underground roots and by seeds. You can cut the vines and immediately paint a vegetation killer on the stubs. A product such as Round Up will travel down to the roots and kill them off, too. It takes persistence, though because any part of a root that remains will sprout anew. Round Up will kill your other plants if it comes in contact with them so don't spray the bed, but do paint the stubs of the bindweed each time you cut them down. Eventually you'll get control.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"