honeysuckle dying - Knowledgebase Question

Coventry, Rh
Question by zoey726
Hello, I transplanted a small honeysuckle tree a couple of weeks ago. I amended the soil and added slow release fertilizer, I am in zone 6. I did transplant in a spot where it gets the same amount of sun as it did previously however it is wilting badly and I'm afraid it may be dying. It's not dry, just wilting real bad. Help.

0

Sounds to me as though you did everything right. It is quite common for newly planted trees and shrubs to go through a period of adjustment, though, and they can look really bad for several weeks until the root system establishes. About the only thing you can do is to water deeply once each week. Don't water too often - saturated soils can drive out oxygen and plant roots need oxygen as well as moisture. Wilting can indicate too much water. Honeysuckle tends to like soils on the dry side so once a week watering is all yours should need. As the roots become established you'll see new growth. At that time you can prune away any dead or dying stems and branches. Best wishes with your honeysuckle!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"