trim trees - Knowledgebase Question

Mesa, Ar
Question by toflysoon
I would like to trim my own trees this year for the up and coming winds we have here in AZ. Any tips on what I should and should not do when triming my trees .
Thanks Dennis

The obvious tip is the warning - don't fall off the ladder! You can reduce the size of your trees by selectively pruning out limbs and branches, back to their point of origin, or by simply trimming the entire tree so the branches are shorter. I'm sure you've seen the lollipop look on many trees and shrubs. Although I'm not a fan of this look, it really does reduce wind damage. As long as the branches are short they won't whip around in the wind and I find that pruning every year to shorten the branches usually ends up making the canopy thicker. A thick canopy will reduce the possibility of broken limbs and branches. Best wishes with your tree trimming project.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"