bulbs in torrance - Knowledgebase Question

San Pedro, Ca
Question by Garrettmicha
My friend Ann is having a problem with bulbs, once she plants them and they grow but die shortly after how can we fix this.

0

You weren't very specific about the bulbs so I can only guess that you are planting spring blooming bulbs. If so, they will flower and grow leaves in the spring. When the flowers die you can cut off the flowering stem but you should leave the foliage alone. The leaves will manufacture and transport energy back to the bulb. When the foliage dies down you'll want to dig the bulbs and store them in a cool place over the summer months. In September put the bulbs in the refrigerator for 12-14 weeks (they need this chilling period and your weather just isn't cold enough in the winter). In December plant the bulbs out in the garden and they will grow and flower nicely. Repeat as above and your bulbs will continue to reward you for many years to come. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"