Burpee Peet Pots - Knowledgebase Question

Fairfield, Ne
Question by vette184
I bought the Burpee Peet Pots at Home Depot and the package says I can simply put them in the ground because they fall apart in the soil over time. Wouldn't that not give the roots any room when they get bigger? Would I need to cut the bottom out for the roots to go down? Thanks

The peat pots will actually decompose in the soil. You don't need to cut the bottoms out of the pots when you plant them in the ground. The only concern is that the rims of the pots need to be buried in the soil when you plant the peat pots. If they are sticking out they can wick moisture from the pot and potting soil and cause problems with the roots of your plants. Here's the only caution. The transplants should be planted at the same soil depth as they are growing in the pot. If the rim of the pot extends past the soil level in the pot, and burying the rims in the garden soil will make the seedling sit too low in the ground, simply cut or peel off the rim and top of the pot before planting. Best wishes with your transplants.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"