How to create a garden on hard terrain? - Knowledgebase Question

Question by anamima1968
I live in Key West, FL and I want to make the front of my house better by planting a garden but all I have for soil is sand and rocks. How can I create my garden?

Sand drains quickly but it doesn't hold nutrients well so you'll want to import some topsoil - either pre-packaged or delivered in quantity - to mix into your sand and rocks. Then spread 4-5 inches of organic matter over the bed. You can use compost, aged manure, shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your annuals and perennials, then mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden. Enjoy your colorful new garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"