WHAT TYPE OF FLOWERS TO PLANT - Knowledgebase Question

LOWELL, Ma
Question by WANDAMARSHAL
I HAVE 6 WINDOW BOXES THAT I ACTUALLY PUT ON THE RAILING OF MY DECK THEY ARE ABOUT 2FT LONG, 5 INCHES WIDE APPROX? MY ZONES ARE 3-6, LOWELL, MA
THEY ALL GET FULL SUN, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME IDEAS OF THE BEST MIXTURE OF DIFFERENT FLOWERS TO PUT IN THEM, I AM GOING SHOPPING ON SUNDAY I REALLY LIKE COLOR & SOME HANGING VINES MAYBE BOXES ARE HIGH FROM THE GROUND

0

I agree, trailing plants will look spectacular in the window boxes! Here are a few suggestions: Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea batatas): This lovely cascading annual is grown for its foliage and while related to sweet potatoes grown as vegetables, the potatoes from this ornamental plant are small and bitter. The bright foliage of the sweet potato vine is anything but bitter however. Stunning green, dark black or variegated green and pink leaves (different cultivars are available) adorn the 2? trailing stems. Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum Majus): Unlike the sweet potato vine, nasturtiums are grown not only for their gently cascading foliage, but for the bright and cheerful flowers which also happen to be edible! Nasturtium blooms have long been used as colorful garnish for salads and deserts, and the seeds as a peppery seasoning. Nasturtiums often have a cascading growth habit with trailing stems that are lovely in the garden for containers, mixed borders, or hanging baskets. The ?Gleam Series? nasturtiums are the best climbing or trailing varieties and can grow 2-5? long when given lots of sunshine. Wave Petunias are also a good choice. They will happily trail and cascade over the sides of your planters.

Some other outstanding plants include Cosmos sulphureus (orange cosmos), Gaillardia pulchella (blanket flower), Gomphrena globosa (globe amaranth ), Leonotis nepetifolia (annual lion's) Phaseolus acutifolius (tepary bean), Portulaca grandiflora (moss rose), Zinnia elegans (zinnia) and Zinnia haageana (Mexican zinnia). Succulents include: Agave americana (agave ), Aloe saponaria (soap aloe), Aloe vera (medicinal aloe), Euphorbia tirucalli (pencil tree), Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi (South American air plant), Opuntia humifusa (hardy prickly pear), Stapelia spp. (carrion flower) and Tradescantia pallida (purple heart). All will tolerate full sunshine and the dry conditions that your planters may provide.

Enjoy your hanging garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"