spearmint juniper - Knowledgebase Question

kennesaw, Ge
Question by mst31
would spearmint junipers which are being sold as two ball topiaries about 5-6 ft tall make good container plants between my garages outside. it would get sun from morning till 2 pm.
what other optional topiary container shrub could i choose. they are quite expensive. so have to make careful choice. live in kennesaw ga

0

Junipers really prefer all day sunshine so I think I'll steer you towards boxwoods or Eugenia as topiary plants. Both should be readily available, especially the boxwoods. They both will tolerate afternoon shade where the junipers may not be quite so happy. If you have the time, you can make your own topiary. Start with a young plant. One that has a single stem. Stake the stem upright and clip off any branches or pull off all the leaves along the stem, leaving a topknot of foliage (or making two areas of foliage along the stem for a pom-pom style topiary and keeping the stem between them bare). As the plant grows, keep rubbing off anything that tries to sprout along the stem and remember to prune the top (and middle) to encourge multiple stems and a dense growth habit. It can take 3-4 years to produce a topiary this way, but you'll have one you created all on your own.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"