Dug up Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Spanaway, Wa
Question by azlynsmom
My front lawn was 80% crabgrass and weeds so I have tore it all out. What is my next step(s) to have great grass for my kids to play on?

0

Although you've removed the crabgrass, I suspect seeds are still lurking in the soil so you'll want to remember to use a pre emergent crabgrass control product after your new lawn is up and growing. If you tore out your old lawn, I assume you used a rototiller. If so, spread 2-3 inches of compost and some starter fertilizer over the lawn area and dig it in to a depth of abour 6". Level the area and broadcast your grass seeds (or install sod). Keep the seed bed moist by watering frequently (several times a day if necessary to keep it from drying out). After you've mowed your new lawn 2-3 times, apply a crabgrass pre-emergent to discourage a resurgence of crabgrass. Best wishes with your new lawn!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"