Pear tree - Knowledgebase Question

canyon lake, Te
Question by chugberry
My pear tree has some black leaves. There are green ones. Looks like the black starts at the tip & moves toward stem. What is the cause? Also rust spots on a fig tree.

If the leaves appear a normal shape and size, the black tips are caused by environmental conditions (wet, warm spring weather). You can pull them off the tree or leave them alone and they will fall on their own. If the leaves and branch tips are distorted, the blackened leaves can indicate a disease called fire blight. Pruning off the affected leaves along with 6-8 inches of the stem will help control the disease; a copper based fungicide can also help. The rust spots on your fig tree can also be controlled with a copper based fungicide. I'd spray both trees to stop the progression of the diseases.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"