rust problem on Canna leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Foster''s Gardens
Florida, Fl
Question by cherbillf
Living in SW Florida, I constantly have a rust problem on my Canna leaves. I destroy the infected leaves, but how do I stop this rust problem from coming back?
Thank you.

0

Cannas are susceptible to frangipani rust, an orange colored rust that appears on the leaves and stems of the plants. When you first see it, remove the leaves and stems immediately. If you don't (as I did not) it spreads unchecked. The best method of control obviously is prevention and cleanliness. If you monitor your plants several times a week (walk around the yard and look at all your plants) you'll find fungi eruptions like this early enough to take care of them quickly and safely. Cannas grow so fast that you can take out an entire stalk, even if it hasn't bloomed yet, to help eliminate the rust. Our famous Florida humidity is partially to blame for this fungi, but if you are vigilent, you can overcome it. A copper based fungicide will help prevent the disease. Be sure to follow label directions for application times and repeat sprays. Best wishes with your cannas.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"