Transplant a rose bush - Knowledgebase Question

Des Plaines, Il
Question by reyna89
Hi, I would like to install a rain barrel this Spring, but I will need to move a rose bush. My question is what will happen to the rose bush is it a good to transplant it now or not. Please advise.
Thank you,
Pamela Reyna
Chicago, IL

Your rose bush will suffer much less shock if you time your transplanting to coincide with the regular dormant season of the plant. This will be December or January in your gardening region. You can move it now but you'll need to expect it to stop flowering until it establishes its roots again. If you don't mind losing some of the flowers for a few weeks, you can move it now. Begin digging as far out as the canes and stems extend, and about 12" deep. It's better to dig too large a hole than to risk severing important roots. By rocking the plant gently back and forth after removing so soil, you'll be able to decide how much deeper you'll need to dig to get most of the roots out intact. Be sure to prepare the new planting hole before digging the shrub, and transfer as quickly as possible so the roots are not exposed to the elements any longer than absolutely necessary. Water well after transplanting, to help settle the soil. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"