Everbearing Strawberry Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Leesburg, Vi
Question by themargounde
Novice gardener here. Looked up in HD library for info on various plantings. But, need clarifications. Library says for strwbrrs-end of season, cut down-or leave alone or till under. I have evrbrg strwbry, do I leave alone? How many years will they produce? Lbry says train daughter plts take root in 9 x 9

Let's see if we can clarify things for you. Strawberry plants are usually replaced every 3 years. They stop producing by then and are more prone to diseases. So, you allow the runners that develop from the original plant to produce new plants. They will root if you brush away the mulch from beneath the new little plant so it makes good contact with the soil. Allow the new little plant to grow - it will become the replacement for the mother plant. By the time the mother is 3 years old the baby plant will be old enough to bear fruit. It will produce runners and new little plants to replace itself. (Hope I explained this renewal process well enough.) Now that your everbearing strawberry plants are planted, you can enjoy some of the berries but you should cut off some of the flowers before they set berries so you can re-direct the plant's energy into building a healthy root system and a larger crown. Next year your plants will produce a large crops all season long. At the end of the growing season you can set your lawn mower high and mow down the foliage, then mulch over the plants after the first frost. Rake away the mulch in the spring and new leaves and flowers will be produced. Hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"