Drainaged problem - Knowledgebase Question

Hyattsville, Ma
Question by sjones051934
My home is connected two homes and I live in the middle house and due to this my yard is connected too three other yards. My drainaged problem trend from the middle home behind me where I live and there our yard's are connected. The drainage problems only occurs when it rains and trying to solve this problem I had an contractor's to build me a treand that included the black underground hoses.

0

It doesn't sound as though the drainage pipes were properly installed. You can install a curtain drain to help redirect the excess water. It involves trenching along the property line (or where the water is draining into your yard). The depth and width of the trench can vary, but 5 to 6 inches wide and 8 to 12 inches deep are common sizes and usually satisfy most needs. Grading is a critical consideration ? you must ensure that enough slope exists for the water to actually flow, and flow in the right direction. It might be adequate to check very short stretches of drain with a level to ensure that a slope exists to carry water in the desired direction. However, you should take whatever measures are necessary, including a survey and grading, if needed, to ensure that you have at least a 0.5 percent slope. A 1 or 2 percent grade is better. Add gravel to the trench to within a few inches of the surface. Gravel for this use is typically 0.5 to 1 inch in size. On top of the gravel, lay at least 3 or 4 inches of coarse sand. This provides a medium in which turf can grow so that the trench will not be visible. But remember that the sand must be coarse or it won't allow water to properly drain through. Turf may be seeded into the sand or simply allowed to grow in from the adjacent stand, if the turf is a spreading type. Or, you can lay sod over the sand.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"