Tomato plants with yellow and brown leaves on the bottom - Knowledgebase Question

Odessa, Fl
Question by pikeme57
I have a tomato plant that has yellow and brown leaves at the bottom. However, the middle and top are florishing beautifully. What is it and how to I stop the leaves from getting yellow and brown at the bottom. I live in florida and have not had this problem before with other tomato plants. It gets morning shade and afternoon sun.

Tomato plants naturally lose their oldest (lowest) leaves as they become unproductive. As long as the rest of the plant looks healthy and is putting out new growth, it's nothing to be concerned about. Just trim off the yellowing leaves. However, tomatoes are subject to a number of diseases, including late blight. This will cause small, dark, "watersoaked" patches on the leaves and the tomatoes will have greenish grayish spots on them which then turn brown and hard. If there are no watersoaked spots on the leaves, the yellowing lower leaves are probably nothing to worry about.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"